The village is located at the east end of the province of Málaga, in the middle of the Axarquía, ten kilometres from Vélez-Málaga and fifty from Málaga. The main population centre arose in the 16th century from an inn. Two centuries later, in 1764, it was recognized as an independent village. Although the youngest of the villages in the region, the site was one of the first to be inhabited, according to the archaeological remains found here. The village of La Viñuela bears the same name as the nearby reservoir, the main water supply for the city of Málaga and its surroundings. Sites to see are the church of San José, built in the 16th century, hermitage Virgen de las Angustias from the 19th century, and the tower of La Atalaya, used in Moorish times to communicate with watchtowers along the coast and the castle of Zalia. The reservoir is a popular site for fishing, swimming and picnicking.